Based on feedback I recieved from customers running into issues clustering ColdFusion MX 6.1 with the J2EE install I wanted to put together a step-by-step procedure along with screenshots. This article is an update from my Clustering CFMX for J2EE article on the macromedia.com website. I added all the updates for ColdFusion MX 6.1 and a work around for a 6.1 bug. I will work on putting this on the mm.com site so others can benefit. You can view the step by step instructions here.
Any feedback is welcome if you think I am missing something.
One important note on sticky sessions that we ran into was that the ear files must be named exactly the same. We had created cfusion1-ear and cfusion2-ear and session replication would not work. There was a specific error in the log, something about "unable to find the folder cfusion1-ear....". I assume it was looking on our cfusion2 server at that time. Anyway, we changed both instances to cfusion1-ear and it worked. Our server admin later said that he had to change them both to cfusion-ear to get something else to work right. Not sure what that was about. So the lesson is, follow the instructions exactly and name them both cfusion-ear.